ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] abstract goals and guidelines
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:27:30 GMT
* Provide a clear mission statement for Ant.

* Main goals: Simplicity, Understandability, Extensibility

  Simple and understandable for the target audience - developers,
  build-engineers ...

* remove magic properties if at all humanly possible

* remove as much dependency on native scripts as possible.

* clean object model (ie Project/Target/Task)

* good event model to integrate well with IDE/GUI/whatever

* use a consistent naming scheme for attributes across all tasks

* keep build file syntax as compatible to Ant1 as possible -
  i.e. don't break something just because we can.

* keep the interface for Tasks as similar to the one of Ant1 as
  possible - i.e. don't break something just because we can.

* Ant should be cancelable

* no commit of new features without documentation (ouch 8-)

* no commit of new features without testcases