ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a 'declarative' language
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:23:31 GMT
Tim Vernum <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:

> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> Having optional dependencies is one thing that could be added.

Adding some larger amount of complexity though. I've tried to find
some use cases for this - my fantasy seems too limited, sorry.

> You could change if/unless to be treated more like dependencies,
> rather than conditions.

Sounds interesting. How would you see something like this?

>> Sometimes people even use different names for the same thing, I
>> remember <map> (looks as if it has been borrowed from lisp - not
>> suspect of being procedural) and others.
>
> That's part of what I'm getting at here.
> Who cares if lisp is procedural or not?

We are in the same boat, Tim. I don't want to fight about names for
things or about notations, it's the functionality that matters.

> I'd like to see list/set based operations.

Well, <execon> and <apply> are there just because I wanted set based
operations as well.

Stefan