ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: odd code in Get.java
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:36:26 GMT
Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> If you look at line 148 onwards, you see that the code makes a
> number of attempts to connect to the server before bailing out,
> eating any IO exceptions and retrying. Then there is some followon
> code which recognises that the three attempts failed, and generates
> a new exception (losing any IO exception information in the process)

This code has been in Ant before I joined this list, so I can only
guess why it works like it does.

I'd be +1 on making the number of retries configurable (with only one
try being the default?), a big +1 on not swallowing the IOException,
but pass it up wrapped in the BuildException and +1 on adding a sleep
attribute.

-0 on removing the retry part completely - somebody seemed to need
this.

Stefan