ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Requirements for Ant 2.0
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:30:16 GMT
Deryk, Julian, thanks for your input.

Actually you've come a little late for the deadline so anything you've
suggested has to go into the controversal area even if it wasn't.

But as far as I can tell, most stuff would belong there anyway.

Deryk Sinotte <deryk.sinotte@audesi.com> wrote:

> - Summary
>
> - Fundamental design changes to make Ant more powerful:
>    1) Scoping is definitely the biggest problem I can see.

already on the list

>    2) Targets need to be considered more as "methods".

added

>    3) Flow control is the second biggest problem after scoping.

already on the list

>    4) Data types need to be more powerful.

already on the list - scattered in several separate requests.

>    5) XInclude needs to be implemented.

already on the list

>    6) Class-level dependency checking.

The optional <depend> task?

>    7) The Ant documentation needs to be better.

already on the list (voluteers welcome)

>    8) Nested elements...

already on the list

> More standard tasks
> -------------------

>   - abort

<fail />?

>       System.exit if condition true.

No - System.exit is a no-no. Throwing an exception that calling code
can deal with is cleaner.

>   - canonical

>       <canonical name="thisfile" value="${ant.file}" />

<property name="thisfile" location="..." />?

>   - xslt

Stefan