ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Ant's goals
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:05:53 GMT

> At 09:25  30/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>>> - separation of task API and implementation (ie servlet spec vs
>>>   tomcat)
>>
>>Don't we have this already - even in Ant 1?
>
> Not really ... the tasks directly access a lot of implementation
> details (ie Project object) or do all sorts of naughty things ... I
> just want to clean this up.

Oh, OK, I see. Fine with me - all things tasks currently do with
project should not remain part of Project anyway IMHO, they belong
into the "logging aspect" or utility classes.

>>>   - separate task engine from project engine
>>
>>What are task engine and project engine here?
>
> task engine == an engine that executes tasks in a particular
> context. All the task engine sees is tasktype registries, datatype
> registries and input proxy task objects.
>
> project engine == the engine that executes targets, manipulates
> projects etc. It contains a reference to task engine and will call
> it to execute tasks.

So this is the major point of "making the task engine reusable",
right?

The separation looks artificial at first glance, executing a target
involves executing tasks and if I follow IOC, targets should execute
tasks (unless you want to make targets pure data holders without any
behavior).

Stefan