ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:42:20 GMT

> At 05:01  21/3/01 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>And now, please, could anybody tell me the difference between those
>>two? Is it that foreach is a keyword in Perl while select is one in
>>SQL?
>
> select has zero ordering semantics.

I am fully aware of the difference of the underlying concept of SELECT
in SQL and foreach in C-Shell, thanks.

What I didn't get was that all you did was changing the term foreach
(with no implied concept) against select (again no concept) - end up
with a syntax that is the same apart from using different words.

So if we use a declarative approach using select semantics but label
the construct "foreach", would everybody be happy? I doubt so.

Stefan