ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [RESULT] abstract goals and guidelines
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:55:42 GMT
I've (again) taken some liberty in moving some -1s for the last two
items to [ACCEPTED AS GUIDELINE]:

During discussion it became obvious, that some things from this list
are goals for Ant and some should be guidelines for developers,
therefore there are two flavors, [ACCEPTED] and [ACCEPTED AS GUIDELINE].

Feel free to flame me 8-)
        Stefan

The [ACCEPTED] items
* Provide a clear mission statement for Ant.

* Main goals: Simplicity, Understandability, Extensibility

* remove magic properties if at all humanly possible

* remove as much dependency on native scripts as possible.

* clean object model (ie Project/Target/Task)

* good event model to integrate well with IDE/GUI/whatever

* use a consistent naming scheme for attributes across all tasks

* keep build file syntax as compatible to Ant1 as possible -
  i.e. don't break something just because we can.

* keep the interface for Tasks as similar to the one of Ant1 as
  possible - i.e. don't break something just because we can.

* Ant should be cancelable

The [ACCEPTED AS GUIDELINE] items

* no commit of new features without documentation

* no commit of new features without testcases