ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feature Request: Ant batching support
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:50:13 GMT
John D. Casey <John.D.Casey@mail.sprint.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this got through last night (sent it from another
> email address...), so I'll say it again to ensure coverage.

At least I haven't seen it.

> 1.  You're using a build file with a target "init", and you include
> a fragment that also has a target "init".  There's a problem.

Agreed.

> While I understand that I'm partially shooting myself in the foot

And agreed again 8-).

What you are talking about might fit better into a concept where one
project might depend on a target defined in another project - the
keywords here are workspace and DAG when looking into the requirements
list for Ant2 or searching the archives for some threads dating back
to the end of last year.

Expect a new discussion on this topic in a few weeks.

> 2.  The syntax isn't exactly mainstream for Ant usage.

It's the builtin way of including something in SGML.

It has some drawbacks - and being ugly is a minor one. It doesn't mix
with XSchema for example - <xsl:include> might be an option but would
require an XSLT processor. A homemade include mechanism would be
possible of course, but it wouldn't have the charm of a standard
compliant solution.

Stefan