ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant task extensions / contributions
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:33:35 GMT
Hi Marc,

Marc Liyanage <liyanage@access.ch> wrote:

> One gets user input via the command line, two implement
> something like the "basename" and "dirname" commands
> under UNIX.
>
> Is this useful?

Sure, a <prompt> task is on the wishlist for Ant2 - and nobody would
throw away a contribution for 1.x, I guess.

The problem I see is that a prompt task like yours would be tied to
the command line interface - how would it work with a GUI interface?
Abstracting from the front end is one of the higher priorities for
Ant2.

On the other hand, having a prompt task now, that needs to be
rewritten completely for Ant2 - would be better than having no prompt
task at all, IMHO.

I'm not sure what you'd be using the basename and dirname tasks for,
but this is a different issue.

> They share a common base class because they both use property files
> to communicate their values back to the build script.

This is a design decission I don't understand. Why don't you simply
set the property directly?

> Is there a collection of contributed tasks?

Yes and no.

Many tasks have been sent to this list and many but not all of them
now live in Ant's CVS module as optional tasks. Furthermore, we'll
probably start a separate CVS module for contributed stuff, but don't
hold your breath.

If you are thinking about including your tasks there, the package had
to be changed and you'd have to donate the code to the ASF.

We've started to collect information about resources for Ant that are
not part of the Ant module at
<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html>, if you want to
distribute your tasks separate from Ant, getting listed there would be
a start.

Cheers

        Stefan