ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logger flexibility answer?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:54:43 GMT
Jay Glanville <dickon@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, I made a request that Ant2 have a more flexible logger
> system.  Since then, I've given more thought on the functionality
> that I'd need.  So, now, I'm introducing the concept of a <recorder>
> task, and I'd like some feedback.

First feedback: I like this idea - much better than specifying a
logfile on a task by task level IMHO.

Maybe you should add a loglevel attribute as well? This way you could
get verbose output from a specific task by wrapping between two
recorder tasks. I see, you have this in your "future" section.

The only thing I don't really like too much is the concept of
automatically logging specific targets, I think this should be
achieved via dependencies. For the same reason I don't like the
includetasks feature from your "future" section.

What would your current implementation do in a case like this:

<target name="setup">
  <recorder includetarget="compile,jar" ... />
</target>

<target name="compile" depends="setup">
  <javac ... />
  <recorder action="stop" ... />
  <copy />
</target>

<target name="jar" depends="compile" ...

Would the copy task in compile be logged? Would the jar target be
logged at all?

Stefan