ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:56:05 GMT
Obviously we are starting the discussion 8-)

I'll try to make this move a little bit more formal within the next
hour or so - two or three commits are still needed and CVS is
extremely slow ATM.

Bill Brooks <wbrooks@lug.ee.calpoly.edu> wrote:

> What I'd like to see in Ant 2.0 is a much more thought out
> declarative language for the XML build control files that stays
> firmly within the non procedural programming paradigm.

If at all possible I'd say.

Added it to the list, in two flavors with a "purist" version in the
"controversial" corner of the list.

Personally I think we should review the use cases people are trying to
solve with procedural approaches very closely - if we can come up with
a non-procedural approach that is easy, great! If not, well than there
seems to be some room for procedural stuff.

> 3. Lower the traffic on ant-user and ant-dev initiated by people who
> think that all languages must be somehow procedural in order to be
> useful and that all those who think otherwise are hopeless purists

Well, those "procedural purists" are a real pain, aren't they ;-)
These guys are a real "thought police" when they try to enforce their
view of the world ...

I'm kidding here, Bill.

Let's just try to keep dogmatism - any flavor of it - out of our
discussion.

> who must be worked around by hosting external Ant tasks on
> SourceForge.

Well, this is OK IMHO - not making this stuff available to others
looks worse to me.

Stefan