ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:44:51 GMT
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> * create the concept of workspace so that projects can be built in a
>   DAG and thus enable projects like catalina/tomcat to have an easy
>   build process.

Still need to read the Antform code.

frANTic had some way to do this as well, and it even came with some
nice naming scheme, something like /target for targets in the current
build (or no prefix at all) and /project-name/target for a target
imported from a project named project-name.

Need to hear more about this whole issue.

> * Project inheritance
>
>   What's this?

without further explanation, I can only vote -1.

> * Target inheritance. ie The ability to include targets from other
>   project files overidining them as necessary (so cascading project
>   files).

The import stuff might be cleaner.

> * Add an attribute to <ant> to feed back the environment (properties
> * and taskdefs) from the child build to the parent.

done via property scoping, is a special case of the last point of this
list, isn't it?

> * Allow a target to depend on a target which is in another
> * buildfile.
>
> * Allow a target to reference properties defined in another
> * buildfile.

+1

Stefan