ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Ant's goals
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:25:16 GMT

>>> +10000000000000000000000000000000000000
>>
>>So what exactly would be needed - judging from your strong support
>>for it, you sure can explain it ;-)
>
> a lot of it is covered by other points but many of the other issues
> I scheduled for the design phase rather than requirements
> specification ;)

If so, that's fine. I just wondered, how much would have been covered
already - and if there was something else. If we've covered everything
else (and aggreed upon) this goal will be reached automatically,
right?

> A simple run down would be

> - separation of task API and implementation (ie servlet spec vs
>   tomcat)

Don't we have this already - even in Ant 1?

>   - separate task engine from project engine

What are task engine and project engine here?

>   - pluggable ProjectBuilders
>   - pluggable converters
>   - possible pluggable aspects (ie log-policy, classloader policy
>   etc)
>   - separate loaders of tasks and task registries etc etc.

Already covered elsewhere.

> There are issues that no one has yet brough that I was going to wait
> for design or impl phase to bring up ... but if you really want me
> to do it I can spout a lot of buzz-word compliant mumbo-jumbo? ;)

No, please wait 8-)

>>> +1
>>
>>In what way? Do you envision more than a couple of tasks?
>
> Essentially a couple of tasks. It depends on whether
> alexandria/commons picks up the ball - if they don't then I would
> like to at least prototype a basic setup (maybe under
> jakarta-ant-cjan) and see how well everything works.

So we have two levels here, (1) some tasks - fine with me - and
(2) maybe build a CJAN system ourselves at a later stage - not really
related to Ant2 at all IMHO.

Thank you for your clarification

Stefan