ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Brooks <wbro...@lug.ee.calpoly.edu>
Subject What is a 'declarative' language [ was Re: [VOTE] vote on general direction ...]
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:46:36 GMT
 On 26 Mar 2001, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> >> * build files should be declarative in nature
> >
> > +1 if we could ever agree on exactly what "declarative" means. :-]
>
> Having studied physics and not computer science it is amusing to
> follow the discussion - in physics somebody would have provided a
> reference to some well known standard definition of each and every
> term (not that this would make discussion any easier ;-).

I actually started taking a look at this when everybody started piling on
Peter about syntax for a declarative language for build files. I started a
pretty extensive literature search, but what I found out is that there is
a surprising lack of published material on this topic (surprising when you
consider that in during the 1970's in the U.S., you could pretty much get
a Phd in Computer Science by designing a grammar for some new language in
some paradigm and writing a compiler for it).

The stuff I did find was about Prolog, so I'm in the process of reading it
all. I'll report back when I have something concrete and useful to add to
the discussion.

Bill