ant-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Trel...@camtech.com.au>
Subject RE: Filter task feels wrong
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:01:55 GMT
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Tim Vernum wrote:

> Some of the discussions in the
> 	"[RFC] Permissions filters on file/patternset"
> thread would cover this.
>
> My feel is that a lot of this sort of functionality is a
>  bit haphazard.
> You shouldn't turn "filtering" on on <copy>, you should
>  apply a mapper to the original fileset, to produce a
>  new filset with the filtered names.
>
> And turning on filtering for specific tokens is not
>  always what you want.
> Sometimes you want to prepend something to the name,
>  or append it.
>
> It should be more configurable than it currently is.

I haven't seen the thread, I'll go look.

But I think you are talking about something different here.

I'm talking about the filter task which tells copy that whilst it is
copying to look for "tokens" and when found to replace them with the
token value.  That is it _changes_ the file contents.

What you are referring to is changing the fileset and this is not what
filter does.

Barrie
--
Barrie Treloar

  Barrie Treloar                      Phone: +61 8 8303 3300
  Senior Analyst/Programmer           Fax:   +61 8 8303 4403
  Electronic Commerce Division        Email: barrie@camtech.com.au
  Camtech                             http://www.camtech.com.au
  A division of Keycorp Limited
 --- Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. ---