ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: -emacs flag ??
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2001 02:43:43 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>

> >Your argument is that we should NOT provide additional information (the
> >task producing a particular piece of output) because that affects the
> >ability of some editors to parse the output.
>
> some editors ? All editors that provide this functionality would be closer
> to it ;)

Maybe all editors that you use, but mine has no problems whatsoever. I
believe you can configure emacs to handle it too.

> >That information is an
> >advantage to me. It helps me know which task is failing. How do you find
> >that out?
>
> The question is how useful is that in general? How often can you not tell
> where the error is coming from? What proportion of error messages are
> directly attributable to "compiling" compared to other build file
> errors?

Depends on what you do I guess. For example, when building EJBs, the current
ejbjar task uses task names to separate the output from the task itself and
the ejb deployment tool invoked by the task. It is very handy for users to
know the source of their errors. When we support multithreading it will be
even more important to know the source of the error. Questions like "Was
that the test harness or the server that blew up"

> Who saids you have to loose it ? You can still enable it via
> another switch
> ;)

We already have a switch to make it easy to go to this "standard". Why
change the default then?

> I wasn't actually going to bring this issue up to 2.0 though but somehow
> the issue up and pounced ;) How about we keep it as is in 1.x for
> backwards
> compatability but maybe ant2.0 defaults to the standard?

Nothing is set for 2.0 yet, and everything will be up for discussion.

Conor