ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Smith" <asmit...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:02:48 GMT

[re: inherent ordering in SQL queries vs foreach in shell]

>I am not sure what you are saying. Of course results come out in an order
>... however the order is determined by implementation rather than
>specification (except in a few cases). To get ordering you have to use
>ORDER BY or else construct selects in a particular manner. ie many
>databases follow these rules that I have noticed but the SQL specification
>as far as I know does not mandate it.

Fair enough. I am saying that when you do a foreach (*) in a shell, the
result come out in order which is determined by the implementation. If you
want to order them, you have to sort them yourself using 'sort' or whatnot.
I still can't see the difference between that and a SELECT.

Alex Smith
Insight LLC