ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Liu, Kenneth Albert (Kenneth)** CTR **" <ken...@lucent.com>
Subject RE: [DISC] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:24:49 GMT
I like this idea - but not for the same reason that Stephane was thinking.
It would be nice if there was a way you can differentiate between tasks
which can be called from the command line and tasks which are simply called
by other tasks.

By using this, you could expose a clean "public interface" to your build
script for users to see.  As it stands, you have to look at the entire build
script and pick out the target names.  I know there is a way in the current
ant to list all the target names, but I don't think it's obvious how to do
that.  I think most Ant users would just go ahead and start poking around in
the build.xml first anyways.  If there was a separate interface file, or at
least an interface definition at the top of your build file, that would be a
good place for new users of the build script to look.  This would also be a
good place for documentation on how to build the system.  I myself wished
there was something like this while looking through the relatively clean
build scripts for Ant itself.

I know there was some discussion about this not too long ago.