ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Siberski, Wolf" <Wolf.Siber...@tui.de>
Subject Feature Request for Ant 2: Line breaks in attribute values
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:29:11 GMT
It should be possible to specify line breaks
in attribute values. I needed that for the echo task,
and at the moment try to work around that this way:

<target name="makeini">
    <echo file="${build.classes}\default.ini">
Name=Ant
Version=1.0
Help-Item=Ant Help,doc/VAJAntTool.html
Menu-Items=Ant
Build,org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.ide.VAJAntTool,-P;
    </echo>
</target>

First, this looks ugly, because I can't indent correctly.
Second, it seems to be unspecified which
kind of line break the echo task produces (\n or \r\n).

What I would like to see is

<target name="makeini">
    <echo file="${build.classes}\default.ini">
        "Name=Ant\n"
        "Version=1.0\n"
        "Help-Item=Ant Help,doc/VAJAntTool.html\n"
        "Menu-Items=Ant
Build,org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.ide.VAJAntTool,-P;"
    </echo>
</target>

or something similar (I'm not familiar enough with
XML to make a well-founded proposal).

IIRC there was another user requesting a similar feature
to add multi line comments when checking in sources,
so that feature should not be echo task specific.

Wolf