ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Siberski, Wolf" <>
Subject Feature Request for Ant 2: Line breaks in attribute values
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:29:11 GMT
It should be possible to specify line breaks
in attribute values. I needed that for the echo task,
and at the moment try to work around that this way:

<target name="makeini">
    <echo file="${build.classes}\default.ini">
Help-Item=Ant Help,doc/VAJAntTool.html

First, this looks ugly, because I can't indent correctly.
Second, it seems to be unspecified which
kind of line break the echo task produces (\n or \r\n).

What I would like to see is

<target name="makeini">
    <echo file="${build.classes}\default.ini">
        "Help-Item=Ant Help,doc/VAJAntTool.html\n"

or something similar (I'm not familiar enough with
XML to make a well-founded proposal).

IIRC there was another user requesting a similar feature
to add multi line comments when checking in sources,
so that feature should not be echo task specific.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message