ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com.au>
Subject RE: [VOTE] the simple stuff
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:07:36 GMT
Glenn McAllister [mailto:glenn@somanetworks.com] wrote:

>> * unify the namespace of all data types (ie properties + filesets +
>>   patternset + filtersets).

> Maybe I wasn't paying attention.  Could someone explain to me what the intent
> of this point is?  My appologies if this has been discussed to death.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=98526716827780&w=2

(Pete wrote)
"Basically to ease end user reading build file. For instance now it is
possible to have both a FileSet and a property named "project.classpath"
which users found confusing. When the number of datatypes is increased (ie
filtersets, cullsets, packagesets, whateversets) this could lead to N
different namespaces for named values.

IMNSHO it would be better to have 1 namespace as that is what is most
cognitively accessible. It is why most (all?) artificial languages (ie
programming langs) don't allow the same name to refer to N different things
depending on context."