ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com.au>
Subject RE: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:13:04 GMT
From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]

> oh no - I oppose both select and foreach as every example I
> have seen so
> far are examples of things that should be done in preprocessing ;)

Assuming that the <select> construct is able to operate on a fileset,
then if you use a preprocessor, you can't select on files that are
a results of an earlier ant step.

I think that is a serious limitation.

Imagine for example that you have a process which generates a number
of jar files in a directory.
Someone might want to call some other task for each jar that is there
(eg to upload them to a webpage).

I'm not sure how you would do that if you required that <select> be
implemented by a preprocessor.