ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Rees <d.ree...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] diff task that is zip/jar aware
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2001 04:41:17 GMT
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:29:02 -0600, Charles Burdick wrote:

>For my build process, the <uptodate> task was insufficient.  I wanted
>instead to ignore the timestamps and compare files byte-by-byte.
>
>The attached task is based on the <uptodate> task but instead sets a
>property if the files are byte-by-byte different.  In addition, the task is
>smart enough to try the files as java.util.zip.ZipFile's and byte-by-byte
>compare each of their entries.
>
>We have found this task to be very useful, especially in the context of a
>nightly build.
>
>Attachments:
>Diff.java - the task, under Apache license, with JavaDocs
>TestDiff.java - JUnit tests for Diff.java, under Apache license
>diff.html - some documentation

I had an interesting thought on this along with my thoughts on an
available with FileSets in a previous email. Go figure, it has to do
with cullers.

If you created the ByteCompareCuller I mentioned in by submission...

Then you slap this inside the "available with FileSets" task I
mentioned a few emails ago and you would have this functionality.

The main thing missing is the ability to indicate a compare source
other than a directory. Definitely a long term plan for me anyway.