ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Tilly <JTi...@hoteltools.com>
Subject RE: [DISC] multithreading
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:32:09 GMT
Like "make -j", this is something that isn't as portable as you might like
to think.  however, a limited implementation should be pretty easy.  Mark a
target as threadable or synchronized.  Threadable targets will block on
synchronized "depend" targets.  Have an option for the number of threads you
can spawn (ala 'make -jn').

On the surface this looks doable, but the target processor would need
refactoring to allow for the blocking, etc.

Thoughts?

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Kuperus Heun [mailto:matthew.k.heun@gaerospace.com]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 1:07 PM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISC] multithrading

Greetings:

Example use case:

We have one target that creates libraries that the rest of our code
builds against.  I have a dual-processor machine, and I would LOVE to
be able to run subsequent targets (the ones the depend on the
libraries) in different threads, thereby utilizing both processors in
the build process.

Perhaps it is complicated, and for that reason you (the ANT
developers) may decide against implementing multithreaded target
execution.  From my POV, there are valid use cases.

Cheers,

Matt

>Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>>  * Multithreaded execution of tasks within the same target.
>
>+1 if using some sort of container task; there is a good visual
>affordance to indicate which tasks are running in parallel, when they
>start, and when they finish.
>
>>  * Multithreaded execution of targets.
>
>-1.  Again, I'm with Conor on this.  I think it will simply get too
>complicated.  Also, I can't really see a good use case for this.
>
>Glenn

Matthew Kuperus Heun
Global Aerospace Corporation
+1 (978) 922-7115 (voice & fax)