ant-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <>
Subject Re: [DISC] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:33:29 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> * create the concept of workspace so that projects can be built in a
>   DAG and thus enable projects like catalina/tomcat to have an easy
>   build process. It also helps CJAN to a lesser degree and would
>   partially solve the JARs in CVS thing.

+1 on the concept, no comment on existing implementations. :-)

> * Project inheritance

Given Stephane's explaination of the request, I'm a -1 on this.  Too much
effort for too little gain in my opinion.

> * Target inheritance. ie The ability to include targets from other
>   project files overidining them as necessary (so cascading project
>   files).

I'd need a good use case for overriding. -1 for now.

> * Add an attribute to <ant> to feed back the environment (properties and
>   taskdefs) from the child build to the parent.

I'm guessing this can be handled with scoping rules... hmm... with the
possible exception of taskdefs.

> * Allow a target to depend on a target which is in another buildfile.
> * Allow a target to reference properties defined in another buildfile.

+1 with good reference syntax.

View raw message