ant-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:01:46 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > At 10:45  21/3/01 +1100, Tim Vernum wrote:
>
> >>I think that the desire to do something like
> >>
> >>      Foreach subdir in toolkit
> >>      do
> >>              Compile subdir/source to subdir/classes
> >>              Jar subdir/classes to subdir/subdir.jar
> >>      done
> >>
> >>is a valid request for a build tool, and I don't see it as
> >>being declarative.
> >
> > there is always
> >
> > select isFile(*) from toolkit
> > do
> >   Compile subdir/source to subdir/classes
> >   Jar subdir/classes to subdir/subdir.jar
> > done
> >
> > Which is declarative ;)
>
> And now, please, could anybody tell me the difference between those
> two? Is it that foreach is a keyword in Perl while select is one in
> SQL?
>
> Stefan

There isn't, to the best of my knowledge.  In SQL, you don't do anything
with the data you get back from your SELECT statement.  Thats up to the
application that used the SQL statement to get the data in the first
place.  Any procedural constructs in SQL are purely an artifact of the
trigger and procedure language used by the database vendor.

Glenn