ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Ant's goals
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:48:14 GMT
At 09:25  30/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>If so, that's fine. I just wondered, how much would have been covered
>already - and if there was something else. If we've covered everything
>else (and aggreed upon) this goal will be reached automatically,
>right?
>
>> A simple run down would be
>
>> - separation of task API and implementation (ie servlet spec vs
>>   tomcat)
>
>Don't we have this already - even in Ant 1?

Not really ... the tasks directly access a lot of implementation details
(ie Project object) or do all sorts of naughty things ... I just want to
clean this up.

>>   - separate task engine from project engine
>
>What are task engine and project engine here?

task engine == an engine that executes tasks in a particular context. All
the task engine sees is tasktype registries, datatype registries and input
proxy task objects.

project engine == the engine that executes targets, manipulates projects
etc. It contains a reference to task engine and will call it to execute tasks.

Cheers,

Pete