ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Another feature request??
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:47:58 GMT
At 05:29  29/3/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>>

>> At 10:37  29/3/01 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> >And it is possible in make because the tool itself reserves
>> the name of a
>> >default target for a special purpose?  I think not.
>>
>> It is not possible in make ... which was the point I was
>> trying to make ...
>> because the target is not a well defined entry point. Make has to be
>> executed multiple times.
>>

>The reason make has to be executed multiple times in your example is that
>"configure" actually generates the make file for the particular OS, so that
>when you execute "make install" you are actually running a different
>makefile.

right but under ant the configure tool would actually be something that
generated a property file of some sort. Even if we skipped that step
completely we still have

make clean; make; make install

which would have been nice to translate into ants

ant clean main install

>Are you telling me that you want these kind of stuff in ANT, I hope we can
>stay away from that.

which kinds of stuff. If you mean generating a build file then using it
then I see that as almost necessary for templating but other than that not
sure.
Cheers,

Pete