ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Another feature request??
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:05:50 GMT
At 09:02  29/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Just run "ant -projecthelp" and it will tell you.  And even more, it
>will no only tell you its name, but also what it does (if the
>description attribute has been set).  And even better, it will tell
>you what other targets are there and what to use them for.

You gotta remember there are lazy people out there ;)

>Finally I think your URL analogy shows a problem of this approach.
>Most users of the www won't even know what a port is, they'd have no
>idea that http://some.host/ was the same as http://some.host:80/.

exactly !

>So the "pure user", someone who just has to invoke Ant, but not really
>fiddle with buildfiles - maybe he's just installing something that
>uses Ant as its installation tool - won't know that there is a "magic"
>target named main. Again "ant -projecthelp" would be the key, and it
>is already there.

I was thinking about this more when installing stuff. Under unixes you
usually have to go something like

make clean; ./configure; make; make install

It would be nice if the equivelent was translated into ants

ant clean configure main install

rather than 4 different invocations. However thats not possible now because
the user doesn't know the default target. Then I got to thinking as it is
just extra fluff ...

Cheers,

Pete