ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Another feature request??
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:51:19 GMT
At 02:44  29/3/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>What you are proposing is equivalent to say that port 80 is the only port
>for HTTP whether you like it or not and there is no way to specify another.

No I am saying that the default interface a user sees is port 80. You want
to run on port 533 - fine - except the user will have to specify it.
ie

http://myserver.org:553/

I believe that ant should default to a particular target (be it
main/start/begin/entry/whatever) much like http urls default to port 80. If
you  want a different target then you should specify it on the command line
(like you specify port 553 in url).

>Finally, I for one have change the default in my files from time to time
>because I may have added some more stuff and now the full build has a
>different top level.

Which is why you use an alias target.

<target name="main" depends="my-often-changing-top-level-target" />

>I do not buy the argument of being more understandable or simple at all.
>There are plenty of attributes that you need to know to build a build file,

Which I am trying to change ;)

>to say that removing default will make things significantly easier makes no
>sense to me.

Not removing default - making the name of the default target standard.
Cheers,

Pete