ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Datatypes
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:05:44 GMT
At 10:42  27/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>  * Allow mappers to be genericised so that particular features can
>>  * be modified during mapping.
>
>I don't see this as the purpose of a mapper. These attributes (like
>Unix file permissions) are decorations of the plain filesets, nothing
>that has any connection to the mapper concept at all.

Isn't the concept of a mapper to map one file (or fileset) to another?
Currently the only way to do the mapping is based on one attribute of file
(ie it's name) rather than all attributes of a file.

>> * provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) low-level
>>  components (mappers/itemset-filters/converters). Allow them to be
>>  loaded in either global or a new classloader.
>
>Isn't that <typedef>?

depends. If types can contain other types (ie datatypes can == structs)
then yes except for "kernel" mods like converters.

>> * provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) converters.
>>
>>   Currently we have fixed set that is expanded on occasion (ie
>>   includes primitive types + File). Instead of spreading converting
>>   code through out tasks it can be centralized into one component
>>   and used by engine.
>
>But it isn't spread, it is centralized in IntrospectionHelper - but
>not pluggable. Do we need that much flexibility? People could simply
>implement a String argument constructor for their custom attribute
>types.

String arguement constructors is one way of doing it. However it doesn't
allow certain things like resolution based on context (ie getting File
relative to basedir). Adding it in doesn't loose anything (IMHO actually
makes code easier/simpler) so I can't see a reason to exclude the
possibility. Of course it is likely that it would only see rare use but I
would be happy to maintain it for that use ;)

Cheers,

Pete