ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] vote on general direction, details will be discussed later
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2001 07:40:54 GMT
At 05:25  25/3/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>> * separate tasks into .tsk jars somehow. (Probably via function - ie
>>   java tasks, file tasks, ejb tasks).
>>
>>   Decide on categories.
>
>-1 - why? I'd probably go for core.task and then the various optional tasks
>in categories, say ejb.tsk

promoted reuse. There is already a few people who have asked me to make it
so they could build a scripting engine on top of it or use it at CLI.
Monolithic jars make it hard to pick and choose tasks to include in these
sorts of environments. It would not really effect any of ant users but it
would effect people who want to reuse the bits inside (like my cron tasks
or in taglibs or as a scripting host etc). If we could get it low enough
coupling we could even get the major "Server" products like tomcat or
Avalon/Phoenix or eas or James to stop reinventing their own task like
things ;)

Cheers,

Pete