ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] the simple stuff
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:21:52 GMT
At 05:11  22/3/01 -0800, Simeon Fitch wrote:
>> * unify the namespace of all data types (ie properties + filesets +
>>   patternset + filtersets).
>
>-0 (I'd like to hear (or reread archive) discussion on rationale. What
>types of constraints does this impose down the road. Will the namespace
>bloat?)

Basically to ease end user reading build file. For instance now it is
possible to have both a FileSet and a property named "project.classpath"
which users found confusing. When the number of datatypes is increased (ie
filtersets, cullsets, packagesets, whateversets) this could lead to N
different namespaces for named values.

IMNSHO it would be better to have 1 namespace as that is what is most
cognitively accessible. It is why most (all?) artificial languages (ie
programming langs) don't allow the same name to refer to N different things
depending on context.

Cheers,

Pete