ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:34:02 GMT
At 07:13  22/3/01 +1100, Tim Vernum wrote:
> > oh no - I oppose both select and foreach as every example I
> > have seen so
> > far are examples of things that should be done in preprocessing ;)
>
> Assuming that the <select> construct is able to operate on a fileset,
> then if you use a preprocessor, you can't select on files that are
> a results of an earlier ant step.

I used to think dynamic templating (what you ask for) was way cool until
someone on this list pointed out it wasn't. It started with

From: Jerry Huth <jerry.huth@Sun.COM>
Subject: The RIGHT Direction for ANT (was Re: Problem using script task)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 10:57:27 -0800

and was discussed from that point onwards. Go back and read the archives
around that time for a better explanation of it all.

> I think that is a serious limitation.

just like people think not having if and 15 different operators is a
limitation ? ;)

> Imagine for example that you have a process which generates a number
> of jar files in a directory.
> Someone might want to call some other task for each jar that is there
> (eg to upload them to a webpage).

we have filesets that will do that.

> I'm not sure how you would do that if you required that <select> be
> implemented by a preprocessor.

Impossible (in static templating model) unless you nest build files. Can
you give a more concrete example of how you would want to use this
functionality ?

Cheers,

Pete