ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] task/documentation writer's business
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:35:37 GMT
Being lazy consider my +1's as "I will implement it when I need it and no
one else has done it" ;)

At 05:26  21/3/01 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>The list:
>
>* Add a new datatype filterset to group token-filters
>
>* make usage of particular filters/filtersets explicit in copy tasks

+1

>* make facade tasks for things like javac (JikesImpl, ModernImpl etc)
>
>  One candidate is jar with implementations for fastjar
>  for example.

+0

>* unify multiple similar tasks to use similar forms (ie all the javacc
>  type tools)

+0

>* Obfuscating task

+0

>* Add an <ant> task that will find build files according to a fileset
>  and invokes a common target in them.
>
>  <anton>?

-0
should be part of preprocessing

>* Add a JavaApply task that executes a given class with files from a
>  fileset as arguments - similar to <apply>.

-0
should be part of preprocessing

>* Include some more sophisticated loggers with the Ant distribution -
>  especially for sending emails. Make the existing one more flexible
>  (stylesheet used by XmlLogger).
>
>  Could be part of the same module tasks would be developed in?

+1

>* make the default logger's output clear, informative, and terse.
>
>  Actually, this is a little bit abstract, but doesn't apply to the
>  core either.

+1

>* Better docs.
>
>  More examples. Tutorials, beginner documents, reference sheets for
>  tasks, printable version.

+0

>* RPM task.

+0

>* add an attribute to <property> to read in an entire file as the
>  value of a property.

-1. One thing I would like to see is property/available and other similar
tasks simplified by not overiding the tasks. Instead new tasks like

<file-property ... />
<data-property ... />
<load-properties ... />

>* Task for splitting files (head/tail/split like functionality).
+0

>* Task to create XMI from Java.
>
>* socksified networking tasks, SSH tasks.

-1 I am not sure we want to deal with legal consequences. If there was a
clean SSH implementation elsewhere then it would be okay.

>* a reachable task that works much like available for network URLs.
>
>* make PATH handling consistent. Every task that has a PATH attribute
>  must also accept references to PATHs.
>
>* Task to extract classes from a JAR file that a given class depends
>  on.
>
>  Based on <depend> or IBM's JAX for example.

>  task, support AND/OR of several tests here.

Depends on how it is done. If it is done via overloading then -1 if it is
done by creating new tasks for each condition then +1. (Heres a perfect
example where nested tasks work in Ants core).

>* jsp-compilation task
>
>  Sounds like a candidate for a facade task.
>
>* URL-spider task that checks links for missing content or server errors

Cheers,

Pete