ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant2 Feature Request
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:20:08 GMT
At 11:58  20/3/01 -0800, David Rees wrote:
>Actually, what I would like to suggest is that we reify the idea of a
>"task context". I am still writing some notes on it, but the basic
>idea is that you can define various aspects about how to call a task
>or what to do if a task fails. You could then install a context at the
>build file level, target level or task level.

+1

>You could reuse them as well using id/refid.

no idea what this means ? ;)

>I also like it because it better defines the contract between task and
>environment for the task developer. It also seems as semi-natural
>place for me to introduce my idea of a auto-Set (from a week or so
>back) where the context can automatically call a task multiple times
>for a set of parameters. It also allows a further level of
>customization for the aggressive developer/user without changing the
>"core".

Yep it was what I was murmuring about a bit before. We have a number of
aspects for each task;

* logging
* failure behaviour
* classloader

There are some "families" of tasks that may have other aspects
* possibly input file aspect
* possibly outout file aspect
* possibly input package aspect
* possibly input data aspect (ie data/properties set in context)
* possibly outout data aspect

The 2nd category whil eeasier for extremely convoluted tasks may not add
anything to average case - so I am not sure that it is applicable.
Interesting idea though.

Cheers,

Pete