ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what I would like to see in ant.20
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:43:21 GMT
At 04:17  12/3/01 -0800, Steve Loughran wrote:
>> >- A repository of obscure posted tasks other than the mail list. And I
>want
>> >the contributors to maintain them! And want to be able to submit changes
>> >too. This goes for tasks under GPL.
>>
>> GPL tasks == impossible as GPL is not-compatible with APL.
>
>I know we cant have GPL stuff on the apache server, but perhaps we can
>create a 'tasklets incompatible with the APL' project on sourceforge or
>somewhere for all those tasks that integrate someone elses GPL libraries
>into the ant framework.

The short story is that the GPL will not allow it. I was thinking that we
could write an "adapter" task that accessed classes init()/execute() via
reflection. A little slower and a little messier but it would make it
compatible with GPL ;) (Of course that would mean they also couldn't use
our soon-to-be groovy services like logging/helper classes but ... better
than nothing).

>The better alternative is to talk to the FSF to get the belief that GPL/LGPL
>and APL are like matter and antimatter when it comes to integration
>clarified. We need someone who is on speaking terms with richard stallman,
>but that someone has to be prepared for RMS to not only never speak to them
>again, but bear a grudge against their entire family for the rest of his
>life. The only person I know who was in the first category (ange of
>ange-ftp) is now apparently in the latter category, due to some schism about
>variable naming conventions -is there anyone else we can call on?

I have tried a couple of people in the past - they all came up with zero
results. Both sides have different aims - GNU will never compromise so the
only way it would happen is if Apache released its rights or dual-licensed
(both of which are unlikely to happen at this stage).

Cheers,

Pete