ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Another feature request??
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:47:07 GMT
--- Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> I was thinking about this more when installing stuff. Under unixes you
> usually have to go something like
>
> make clean; ./configure; make; make install
>
> It would be nice if the equivelent was translated into ants
>
> ant clean configure main install
>
> rather than 4 different invocations. However thats not possible now
> because the user doesn't know the default target.

Why wouldn't the supplied build-file just have the 'install' target run
the 'clean', 'configure', and 'main' targets (either via <antcall>s or the
[new for Ant2, order-specifiable] "depends") and have 'install' be
specified as the value for the "default" attr in <project>? Then the
instructions for someone installing the software would simply be:

1. Unpack the <whatever-kind-of> file.
2. Run 'ant'.

Ant doesn't need a built-in default target to make things easy for
end-users -- and anyone writing an Ant build-file is going to have to
learn lots of things that are far more complicated than specifying the
default target in the <project> tag.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)