ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] abstract goals and guidelines
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:27:59 GMT

> * Provide a clear mission statement for Ant.

+1 (although I don't know if "mission" is the right word. We already have a
mission. I think what we want here is something that helps people know what
Ant is, and what Ant isn't (and never will be))

> * Main goals: Simplicity, Understandability, Extensibility
>
>   Simple and understandable for the target audience - developers,
>   build-engineers ...

+1

> * remove magic properties if at all humanly possible

+1

> * remove as much dependency on native scripts as possible.

+1

> * clean object model (ie Project/Target/Task)

+1

> * good event model to integrate well with IDE/GUI/whatever

+1

> * use a consistent naming scheme for attributes across all tasks

+1 (are we talking about a "Ant Coding Conventions" document?

> * keep build file syntax as compatible to Ant1 as possible -
>   i.e. don't break something just because we can.

+1

> * keep the interface for Tasks as similar to the one of Ant1 as
>   possible - i.e. don't break something just because we can.

+1

> * Ant should be cancelable

+1

> * no commit of new features without documentation (ouch 8-)

+0 (perhaps it doesn't make it into the core without docs.)

> * no commit of new features without testcases

-0 (I'd support this if there were clear examples of what is expected, what
is good/bad, etc. As the requirement stands now, it is too open ended.)

=====
Mustard Seed Software
http://www.mustardseedsoftware.com
mailto:simeon.fitch@mseedsoft.com