ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] task/documentation writer's business
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:24:33 GMT

Apologies if this is outside the voting rules or not the issue being
resolved here, but some of these I've marked as -1 as I think they should
be "optional" tasks rather than core tasks.

> * Add a new datatype filterset to group token-filters

+1

> * make usage of particular filters/filtersets explicit in copy tasks

+1 (references to filter(sets)?)

> * make facade tasks for things like javac (JikesImpl, ModernImpl etc)
>
>   One candidate is jar with implementations for fastjar
>   for example.

+1

> * unify multiple similar tasks to use similar forms (ie all the javacc
>   type tools)

+1 (declared via cleanly defined interfaces)

> * Obfuscating task

-1 (not relevant to core, IMHO)

> * Add an <ant> task that will find build files according to a fileset
>   and invokes a common target in them.
>
>   <anton>?

-1 (For new <anton> task, as I think the feature can be accomplished better
via improved mechanism for specifying build file to current <antcall>).

> * Add a JavaApply task that executes a given class with files from a
>   fileset as arguments - similar to <apply>.

-0 (could apply be appropriatly modified to cover this case).

> * Include some more sophisticated loggers with the Ant distribution -
>   especially for sending emails. Make the existing one more flexible
>   (stylesheet used by XmlLogger).
>
>   Could be part of the same module tasks would be developed in?

+1

> * make the default logger's output clear, informative, and terse.
>
>   Actually, this is a little bit abstract, but doesn't apply to the
>   core either.

-1 (This is a task implementation guideline, not something that can be
implemented by the logging module; unless this is a veiled commentatry
about the "-emacs" feature. In that case my vote is +0).

> * Better docs.
>
>   More examples. Tutorials, beginner documents, reference sheets for
>   tasks, printable version.

(no vote. good goal, not an implementable feature)

> * RPM task.

-1 (not a core task, especially since it is a platform specific feature)

> * add an attribute to <property> to read in an entire file as the
>   value of a property.

+1

> * Task for splitting files (head/tail/split like functionality).

+1

> * Task to create XMI from Java.

-0 (not enough knowledge of XMI to comment).

> * socksified networking tasks, SSH tasks.

+1 (should be also linked with distributed build features).

> * a reachable task that works much like available for network URLs.

+1

> * make PATH handling consistent. Every task that has a PATH attribute
>   must also accept references to PATHs.

-0 (isn't this more of an issue of allowing references in all attribute
values, which I'd +1).

> * Task to extract classes from a JAR file that a given class depends
>   on.
>
>   Based on <depend> or IBM's JAX for example.

+0

>   task, support AND/OR of several tests here.

+1

> * jsp-compilation task
>
>   Sounds like a candidate for a facade task.

+1

> * URL-spider task that checks links for missing content or server errors

-0 (how is this different from the "reachable" task above. could they be
combined?)

=====
Mustard Seed Software
http://www.mustardseedsoftware.com