ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Lutz Epperlein" <epperl...@opix.de>
Subject Suggestion Ant2: "Compressed" jars
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:59:43 GMT
I want to make a
suggestion.

Especially for creating applet jar files it is necessary to downsize them.

A way to do it is to put only necessary classes into the destination jar.

</color>You can manually look for dependencies or use some wrong hack
how I do

</color>Another alternative may be the JAX tool from IBM alphaworks or a
tool which should exit within jini, I don't know.

But it would be very convenient to have such a task within Ant,
maybe based on the <<depend> task.

Regards

Lutz E.

+0000</color>

line for list subscription options ]</underline></color>

Has anyone thought about or come across  a predicate/piece-of-
code

that could do this :

<<shake outputjar="yyy" classpath="ccc">

 <<shakeroot name="com.mycom.MyServlet"?>

 <<shakeroot pattern="com.mycom.MyDynamicallyLoadedClass*"/>

<</shake>

where shake figures out which classes all the shakeroots depend
upon

and copies  these and the shakeroots into the outputjar.

This would drastically reduce the size of some of the jars that I

ship.

I could take 3rd party jars that I consume, break them open and do

this by hand, but it would be nicer to be able to do it at deployment.

If I am dynamically loading classes, then I would have to mention
them

as shakeroots before I shake !

Anyone care to comment,

Jules

notify

the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by

mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-
free as

information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive

late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not

message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If

related financial instruments.

<nofill>
--
Lutz Epperlein, Software Developer