ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant task extensions / contributions
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:47:31 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Kay" <elialexanderkay@yahoo.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 05:18
Subject: Re: Ant task extensions / contributions

> On the subject of contributed tasks: Do think there
> would be any interest in a task I recently created
> that generates Java source code for a simple bean?
> The task reads a comma delimited file with two
> columns. The second column lists the names of the
> simple bean's properties and the first column lists
> the data type of each property.  I use this task to
> rapidly create useBeans. It outputs the Java source
> code with a package statement, import statements,
> properties and the getters and setters.

I'm not personally likely to use automated code creation tasks as part of
the build, except for those which take some kind of IDL and generate proxy
classes. I think it is because stub creation tasks run the risk of
overwriting the actual hand crafted implementation.

However, I like this task as part of a dev process -you just design the
attributes and the task generates the appropriate stub. I also like the idea
of splitting these code generation tools away from IDEs, as there are so
many IDEs, each with their own wizards to learn.

So how about another feature request for the fabled CJAN: a corner of the
site contains classes which generate stub code from user input/data files.
These classes could be run by some generic client 'code generation wizard',
but equally well run server side -you go the site, search for the kind of
code you want to generate, click on the appropriate wizard, fill out the
form and then the code generator takes the form data and sends back a zip
file containing all the source code.

Wouldnt that be slick?

-steve