ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need a non-english jikes user
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:03:31 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane" <s.nicolas@videotron.ca>
To: <ant@jakarta.apache.org>; <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2001 4:10 PM
Subject: Need a non-english jikes user

> Hello all,
>
> I got some troubles using jikes on my linux box.
> Every time i try to compile a java files containing accentuated characters
> (é,è,à,etc...) jikes gives the following error :
> jikes *.java
> *** Error: The value of this "String" literal is invalid. Perhaps it
contains
> a bad escape sequence?
>
> I also tried to use the encoding option of jikes :
> jikes -encoding iso-8859-1 *.java
> and it gives the following error :
> Charset conversion error at offset 0: Argument list too long
> (it gives a similar error on every encodings i tried : us-ascii, fr, ...)
>
> Can someone help ?
> I would really appreciate to stop re-using javac :(

Not really, sorry. I can verify this bug (using german umlauts and something
I've cut from gmx.fr). This problem seems to occur more often outside there
(for example there is a bug recorded in the debian bug-database).

The only way I can get this to work is to install ICU
(http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/index.htm
l) on my system and recompile jikes to use that. Unfortunately they have a
bug in their CVS. If ICU is found a "#define HAVE_LIBICU..." is added to
config.h, but the sources use "#if defined(HAVE_LIB_ICU...". Next problem is
that it seems that it is not compatible with newer versions of ICU (searches
for icu-uc.so, but ICU 1.7 installs icuuc.so).

So the best thing will be to wait for the next Jikes release and hope they
fix it :-)

Nico