ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] task/documentation writer's business
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:32:34 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > * Add an <ant> task that will find build files according to a
> >   fileset and invokes a common target in them.
> >
> > * Add a JavaApply task that executes a given class with files from a
> >   fileset as arguments - similar to <apply>.
>
> +0, well, we might need to revisit this later - maybe we don't need it
> at all as the core (or a preprocessor or whatever) would provide the
> functionality.

Now, can someone explain to me how come <apply> and <execon> are OK but
<javaon> and <anton> are not? what is so fundamentally different between
then that we are willing to allow one and disallow the others?

The matter of fact is that we have always needed ways to say do this thing
to all this files. Actually that is what we do all the time, or isn't that
what <javac> does, in escense.

Let me make clear, I am not for the <foreach> but not for the reasons stated
here by others. My problem with the foreach is that, as far as I can forsee,
it will require the introduction of mutable properties. Properties that
change value during the life of the project. That I have some concern, since
we have manage for variables to have only one value, if any, during the
scope of the project.

But there is a need to provide a complete set of ways to apply an action to
a set of files. What does "complete" mean? Well I let that for more
discussion.

Jose Alberto