ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] task/documentation writer's business
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:50:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

> >>* socksified networking tasks, SSH tasks.
> >
> > -1 I am not sure we want to deal with legal consequences. If there
> > was a clean SSH implementation elsewhere then it would be okay.
>
> I don't see any legal consequences in an <exec>-layer over invoking
> ssh. If you can legally invoke ssh, scp whatever from the command
> line, you can do so from Ant I bet.
>
> Any legal problems with OpenSSH? License is BSD and they didn't use
> any code from the commercial SSH stuff - not that I'd want to
> reimplement everything in Java.

I have to own up to adding those feature reqs. There are two things on that
line that should be pulled out to clarify which bits are controversial.

1. socksified networking tasks

-existing ftp and telnet tasks need to go through firewalls with socks

I dont think that is controversial, but may be a request to be handed off to
the networking library.

2. SSH

the legal issue (that openSSH) have is use of the 'SSH' name; that's a
trademark. So if anyone ever does code up a task to use SSH, then it
shouldnt call itself that. I'm not aware of any patent issues.

-steve