ant-dev mailing list archives

From "marvin greenberg" <marvin.greenb...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] vote on general direction, details will be discussed later
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:52:14 GMT
> No forced separation of concerns - Break the jars up and you are forced to
> separate out the tasks so that there is not a mass of interwoven
> dependencies. It will soon be obvious (ie when jar 1 depends on jar 2 and
> vice versa) where you have too tight a coupling and need to do some work.
> We did that over at Avalon and it helped identify a lot of problems that
> were not obvious before hand.

I agree 100% with this point.  At my job, I had worked to get development to
use jars to define boundaries of responsibility and use but was ultimately
overruled (or really just ignored), and cross-coupling and a really broken
architecture resulted.  You aren't prevented from having a build process
that combines a half dozen jars into "ant-all.jar" for the end end-users (as
contrasted with developers).

marvin