ant-dev mailing list archives

From "marvin greenberg" <marvin.greenb...@excite.com>
Subject Re: logging (was [ANN] Coll...)
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:40:14 GMT

> Alternatively you could always try LogKit from Avalon which is better
> designed and faster than either API ;)

I  don't exactly know how you can conclude that some other thing is
faster, and speed is usually not an issue with logging as long as the
logger does not alter the behavior of the code (by artifically synchronizing
threads which would otherwise not be synchronized, for example).

Let's not start a long thread on this (which means let's let me have
the last word ;-) ), but my basic point is that the smaller the code base
required for Ant, the better.  If the language provides a capability that
is OK, then in general it is better than some other facility, because
many more people (all jdk1.4 users) will be interested in improving it.

And in any case Ant's use of any logging facility should be sufficiently
abstract that we are not horribly coupled to one.

marvin