ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] abstract goals and guidelines
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:19:18 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] abstract goals and guidelines

> >> * no commit of new features without testcases
> >
> > -1 unless someone tells me how to really provide a testcase for
> > something like vssget
>
> I see this as a problem as well - especially in cases like vssget where
> the task is just a layer on exec.
>
> One can test <tar> be comparing the result of a task with the one a
> command line invocation creates, but if you are basically just doing a
> command line invocation it is difficult to have an expected result.

On could do that with something like vssget as well. The problem is that you
need a repository to run the tests (big problem on Unix) and that MS
translated VSS to different languages which results in different "results".

I don't even have an idea how you would write a testcase for tar (doing more
than check some arguments to the task). Where do you get the expected result
from? Should it be delivered with ant (and put into CVS)?

I will change my vote to +1 if we define for what kind of task a testcase
must be provided. And I think we could enforce testcases for the core of
Ant.

Nico