ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <>
Subject <exec> problem with exit value
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:20:36 GMT

I am trying to use the exec task to call another ant build file in some
other directory (I don't want ot use the <ant> task to do that because I
don't want to inherit any of the properties from the calling build.xml).
However, when the called ant build file fails, the calling build file does
not generate a "build failed" and does not stop.

My settings :

1/ I have used the failonerror attribute in the exec task :

        <exec dir="${}" executable="ant.bat"
            <arg line="tests_all"/>

2/ When I manually run the called ant build file it fails and if I type
"echo %ERRORLEVEL%" at the DOS prompt (I am on Windows 2000), it correctly
says "1"

3/ For confirmation, I modified the Ant class to output the exit
value in the main() method and it effectively does a "System.Exit(1)"

4/ I modified Execute.waitFor() method as follows :

    protected void waitFor(Process process) {
        try {
            System.out.println("Process return value = " +
        } catch (InterruptedException e) {}

and it prints "Process return value = 0" !

I am stuck ...
Can you help me to debug this problem ?

Thank you.

View raw message