ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [DISC] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:27:14 GMT
OK, I missed two of the [DISC] massages first time around since I wanted to
think a little more about them. I'm pretty busy at the moment so this is
just my initial reactions:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 5:58 PM
Subject: [DISC] workspace/subbuild issues

> * create the concept of workspace so that projects can be built in a
>   DAG and thus enable projects like catalina/tomcat to have an easy
>   build process. It also helps CJAN to a lesser degree and would
>   partially solve the JARs in CVS thing.

I'm ok with this concept.

> * Project inheritance
>
>   What's this?

Yes, what is this?

> * Target inheritance. ie The ability to include targets from other
>   project files overidining them as necessary (so cascading project
>   files).

-1. I support including fragements from other build files but not
overriding it. I'd like to see how this would be useful.

> * Add an attribute to <ant> to feed back the environment (properties and
>   taskdefs) from the child build to the parent.

-1.

> * Allow a target to depend on a target which is in another buildfile.

I don't really like the sound of it. Targets are parts of a project with,
at least in my case, a number of project level properties. I'm not sure how
you depend on a target in another project. What are the implications for
setting up that project's expected environment (i.e. the project level
properties).

> * Allow a target to reference properties defined in another buildfile.

This might be OK.