ant-dev mailing list archives

From ar...@t-online.de (Arent Gröbner)
Subject Ant 2.0 feature request: Generalized path handling
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:11:47 GMT
In next-generation Ant I would like to see a more general path handling.

Consider the following fragment:

  <target name="compile">
    <javac srcdir="${src.dir}"
      <classpath refid="classpath-home" />
      <exclude name="**/_*"/>
    </javac>
  </target>

We see here three types of path specifications:

1) <javac srcdir="${src.dir}" ... />
2) <classpath refid="classpath-home" />
3) <exclude name="**/_*"/>

I will call the three types:

1) DIRECT
2) REFERENCE
3) FILTER

All three types eventually evaluate to a path or set of paths (I assume there are even more
ant statements that evaluate to a path). The bad thing with this-generation ant is, some targets
accept DIRECT paths, some FILTER paths, some DIRECT and REFERENCE paths  (you name the combination).

It would be much more logical (and convenient), if we could use EVERY path-evaluating statement
in EVERY place. This feature would not conflict with the current getter-setter-idiom if we
would do some kind of preprocessing before passing the paths to a target implementation.

- Arent